Do you wonder if some things were caused by your past?

“Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us.”
― David Richo
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:15 am

Re: Do you wonder if some things were caused by your past?

Post by Arcturus Descending » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 am

Psion wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:59 pm
Even to this day I have things I can not seem to get rid of.

For years I have checked to see if my front door is locked multiple times before I leave for work.

I got out of the habit for a while.

The other day I noticed I was doing it again.

:o

What do you think might have triggered that?
“A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?" Pointless, really..."Do the stars gaze back?" Now, that's a question.”
― Neil Gaiman, Stardust



“Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star.”
― Paul A.M. Dirac

User avatar
Anomaly654
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm
Location: midwest US

Re: Do you wonder if some things were caused by your past?

Post by Anomaly654 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 pm

encode_decode wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:27 am
An old friend of mine who harbors a lot of guilt can never seem to climb out of his own situation forever repeating the same mistakes. He becomes delusional and starts telling lies to justify his existence - the worst thing is that people believe him.

I myself seem to follow my own pattern that at times, I feel I can never break out of, and find myself in a lot of repetition.

What about you? Are there things you keep repeating? Cycles you can never seem to break?

Do you wonder if some things were caused by your past?
Interesting because I've been wondering along these same lines in my old age. I know several people like your friend.
Came to the conclusion a few years ago that there are negative elements of my personality that seem to persist and have throughout my life. I am to a great degree, despite the fact I swore as a young man I would not allow it, my father's son. Damn genetics. On the other hand, I also acknowledge a lot of progress has been made in some other areas of my life over the years. Seem to have morphed into someone with what sometimes seems to me a surprising mix of good and bad components. Surprising because in retrospect I was pretty much a worthless hedonist/narcissist in my youth.

Yes, I feel some of my current personality features were likely caused by past lack in proper worldview, demeanor and actions. But I salve my wounds by watching COPS regularly; watching the less fortunate who populate the program gives me the satisfaction a false sense of higher moral ground provides. :lol:

User avatar
encode_decode
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Do you wonder if some things were caused by your past?

Post by encode_decode » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm

    Anomaly654

    I liked your post and I think I will respond in more a conversational tone.
    Anomaly654 wrote:
    Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 pm
    Interesting because I've been wondering along these same lines in my old age. I know several people like your friend. Came to the conclusion a few years ago that there are negative elements of my personality that seem to persist and have throughout my life.
    My negative elements seem to have manifested into "mental problems", so I am battling with them all of the time. I would prefer to admit my limitations than to pretend to be something I am not. So I know what you mean when you say "there are negative elements of my personality that seem to persist and have throughout my life".
    Anomaly654 wrote:
    Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 pm
    I am to a great degree, despite the fact I swore as a young man I would not allow it, my father's son. Damn genetics. On the other hand, I also acknowledge a lot of progress has been made in some other areas of my life over the years. Seem to have morphed into someone with what sometimes seems to me a surprising mix of good and bad components. Surprising because in retrospect I was pretty much a worthless hedonist/narcissist in my youth.
    Are we not all "out there" when we are young - I was a definite narcissist when I was young - it was definitely all about me.
    Anomaly654 wrote:
    Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 pm
    Yes, I feel some of my current personality features were likely caused by past lack in proper worldview, demeanor and actions. But I salve my wounds by watching COPS regularly; watching the less fortunate who populate the program gives me the satisfaction a false sense of higher moral ground provides. :lol:
    It may be the case that you do have higher moral ground than those people on that show(assuming COPS is a show of course).

    I think you have achieved a great analysis of yourself and I hope to be able to do the same
    - Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -

    Post Reply