The "Spiritual Mechanics" of Truth - Part 1

“The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery.”
― Anaïs Nin
Anomaly654

Re: The "Spiritual Mechanics" of Truth - Part 1

Post by Anomaly654 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:52 pm

encode_decode wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 am
I am thinking of putting a glossary of terms together - this will help me absorb what you are writing more clearly.

I can have the glossary open in one tab and your writings open in another tab.

Generally speaking, I can understand what you are saying with good clarity but I would like to logically analyse the semantic structure and be able to reciprocate more solidly with you. I think this is necessary given the technical nature of your writing. Your writing is a whole subject to be explored.

I hope you do not mind.

I do this in my field all the time.
I will work on a glossary as well. Am currently working on a paper of essentially the content posted here, to be posted at academia.edu when finished, but will work on glossary as well. Also want to point out the recent posting of part two above; occurs to me you might not have seen it since I did it as a 'fresh' post without posting as a response.

I would appreciate input from you if you have time and are willing as to what doesn't work with I've posted. What are its weaknesses from your perspective, how can and should the mechanism of value be modified for improvement, what are its glaring inconsistencies? Don't want to hear why it works, but why it doesn't. Nothing is ever learned from agreement. Thanks En-De.

Anomaly654

Post by Anomaly654 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:17 pm

In rereading from the links provided in the Semiotics thread and in posts therein I realize my thinking has been that value "travels" from one information bundle (external info) to another (agent intellect). Was aware of the representational nature of these exchanges, but haven't followed them through very carefully. Not sure at this point if or how much the application of semiotics affects the value mechanism hypothesis, but intend to continue reading to see if I need to adjust anything before posting paper online. Any thoughts from you on this would be appreciated, En-De.

encode_decode

Post by encode_decode » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Sorry for the delay, I have been quite busy.

I am more than happy to take a look at everything and offer my thoughts.

I have already read part 2 and I will reread both parts again - making sure I am concentrating when reading.

I will keep you posted.
- Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -

encode_decode

Post by encode_decode » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:02 pm

I am back. I think the first thing I would suggest is that one has a reason for writing up such a philosophy.

What I am saying here is we need to explore your motive - the very thing that got you interested in the first place and where you would like to go with it now. Such an inquiry . . . an introspection of oneself . . . is not as easy as it seems. It is important to understand your own motives as they provide a driving force for what you are doing - there are of course other driving factors that can be considered, none however, as important as your motive.

This should be something that is not written into your philosophy exactly as you would answer based on a question distilled from the format I am providing.

Next would come the groundwork that what you have written is based upon - more on this later - for now I will hint that it is something that leads into what you have written so far. This needs to grab the receivers attention - the more plain and simple the language is in this section the more successful the whole discourse becomes.
- Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -

Anomaly654

Post by Anomaly654 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:54 am

encode_decode wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:02 pm
we need to explore your motive - the very thing that got you interested in the first place and where you would like to go with it now. Such an inquiry . . . an introspection of oneself . . . is not as easy as it seems. It is important to understand your own motives as they provide a driving force for what you are doing - there are of course other driving factors that can be considered, none however, as important as your motive.
This is a bit confusing. Why would it interest anyone what the author’s motive is behind a clearly analytic metaphysical hypothesis? Wouldn’t (shouldn’t?) the content either be interesting or uninteresting on just the basis of the ideas presented?

Actually, I was motivated to explore an unorthodox theological or doctrinal position, which I spent a few years doing. About 10 years later I was self-employed and work was slow, so took a winter job sitting in a 10x8 guard shack near a dam on the Mississippi River from 6pm to 6am with nothing to do except wave at 8 millwrights who drove in to park and work at the dam. Read most of Aquinas’ Summa Theologica and Summa Contra Gentiles out of boredom. Also read a lot of philosophy I was downloading and printing to take to the guard shack. Reading St. Thomas’ take on truth I came across Avicenna’s single sentence. That was an epiphany for me which led to an exploration of the metaphysical reasons for the theological position I was struggling with. I had to learn philosophy fundamentals part time in between raising a family and making a living. Thank God the internet came along when it did. The mechanism of value was pursued as the embellishment (or maybe ground?) of a theological approach to a certain Christian doctrine.

Next would come the groundwork that what you have written is based upon - more on this later - for now I will hint that it is something that leads into what you have written so far. This needs to grab the receivers attention - the more plain and simple the language is in this section the more successful the whole discourse becomes.
I understand the bit about simple, clear language. Not very good at it as I suspect you’ve noticed. But what do you mean exactly by “groundwork”? Do you mean I should show more support for these ideas from past and contemporary thinkers on the subject? The problem is, aside from Daniel DeHaan who wrote a paper on Avicenna’s methodology to truth (PDF I found online that is no longer available except by permission and download directly from author) I haven’t found anyone else who takes this approach to value.

encode_decode

Post by encode_decode » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 am

Give me a day or two to ponder your response.

You have pulled forward a couple of interesting points of conversation and I do not want to waste any of your time.

When thinking about what analytic metaphysics is for: I am drawn to the idea of mixing the ontological with the conceptual to help appeal to intuition.

I think intuition is close to the starting point of where ideas are first generated - there has to be something internal that motivates us to push forward with such intuition into creating ideas and concepts and hopefully into structured explanations from where this intuition originated from and to me that seems to be important.

I want to now take a more in depth look at what you have written prior to your last post and pull out what may or may not work from a logical standpoint.

I will be back soon.