The laws of the universe

“The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery.”
― Anaïs Nin
Jonah

The laws of the universe

Post by Jonah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 am

I'm brand new to philosophy... I mean, I've been thinking about philosophical kind of stuff all my life but I didn't realize until more recently that other people thought about these things. Anyway, the Paradox of Omnipotence throws up some more difficult questions...

It is understood that God cannot do anything that breaks the laws of logic, the laws of the universe... or, say, the laws of morality, right?

So do these laws just exist, or did God create them? If God created these laws, then presumably they are arbitrary. Could God have made a world where 2+2=5... Hmm, I'm not very good at explaining this yet because it's all new to me.

Maybe I'll come back to this when I'm more awake and in the meantime hopefully I've said enough to provoke a response.
“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols

Serendipper

Re: The laws of the universe

Post by Serendipper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Jonah wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 am
I'm brand new to philosophy... I mean, I've been thinking about philosophical kind of stuff all my life but I didn't realize until more recently that other people thought about these things.
That's the best way to do it. You're not brand new to philosophy; you just think you are ;)
Anyway, the Paradox of Omnipotence throws up some more difficult questions...
I don't think there is any such thing as all-anything.
It is understood that God cannot do anything that breaks the laws of logic, the laws of the universe... or, say, the laws of morality, right?
We inherited our terminology from theology where a god created everything then issued immutable laws for us to follow. There are no laws of nature because there is noting in nature saying that is how it has to be; rather there are "observed regularities."

Logic arose from duality which is a method of existence because there is no such thing as yin without yang since we need the contrast and shared boundary to define existence. 'On' cannot exist without 'off'. Heads cannot exist without tails. Front/back, north/south, good/bad, +/-, etc. We can't have + unless there is a - and + is merely a lack of - like "off" is a lack of "on". Existence is not absolute, but relational and logic is an artifact of that and is therefore empirical (lest we pedestalize logic into a deity).

Morality is a game you choose to play and isn't something that exists. If you want to flatter yourself by holding yourself to a high moral standard, then that is fine, but it's a game without a prize and no cause to view yourself as better than anyone else or any less of a rascal or you've defeated the very purpose of morality. The reason you want to be better will always be the reason you are not.
Could God have made a world where 2+2=5..
I doubt it because math is a function of logic and logic is an artifact of existence and existence is relational and polar, bipolar, not tri-polar where we have +/-/x. A battery would have 3 or more terminals in such a world and I can't imagine how computers would function.
Serendipity - the occurrence of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way; life; learning.