What is philosophy? What use is it?

This forum is for discussing philosophy. Academic, non-academic and new.
Discuss existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.
For questioning, critical discussion, rational argument and systematic presentation.
Abraham

What is philosophy? What use is it?

Post by Abraham » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Academic philosophy has become anathema to most people: it has become obscure and seems to have no relation to life. But some of us live by it. I think it would be good to explore what it is and what is its use. I offer the following:

Philosophy is the art of producing wonder. The object of wonder is the ordinary world. But we do not wonder about that which we know; therefore, philosophy produces wonder by dispelling the cvonviction of knowledge in us.

Wisdom is consciousness of ignorance, accompanied by an attitude of wonder.

Serendipper

Re: What is philosophy? What use is it?

Post by Serendipper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 am

Abrahamhiz wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 pm
Academic philosophy has become anathema to most people: it has become obscure and seems to have no relation to life. But some of us live by it.
"A proverb is no proverb until life has illustrated it." - Keats
Wisdom is consciousness of ignorance,
That's pretty good. You've defined wisdom by saying what it is not like a sculptor removing stone to reveal something meaningful.

A philosophy is a preferential method or ideology for performing some action. My philosophy for eating pizza is to eat much of the crust first and save the best for last. My philosophy for practicing science is to realize there are no "laws" of nature, but "observed regularities". My philosophy of explanation is to give examples ;)
Serendipity - the occurrence of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way; life; learning.