Vocabulary - Discussion

To view topics that deserve special attention . . .
. . . enter here . . .
Serendipper

Vocabulary - Discussion

Post by Serendipper » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:03 am

Preparing for sesquipedalian parlance? ;)

Epiphenomenal is one I learned today.

Learning new words can help us avoid pleonasms. 8-)
Serendipity - the occurrence of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way; life; learning.

encode_decode

Re: Vocabulary - Discussion

Post by encode_decode » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Basically: Vocabulary is very important to reading comprehension. We cannot understand what we are reading without knowing what most of the words mean. I must admit, I had to look up the word sesquipedalian as soon as I saw it - and pleonasms. I think all three of your words are worth adding to the vocabulary - I am going to try and use them as often as is possible without being too repetitive.

As we learn to read more advanced texts, we must learn the meaning of new words that are not part of our vocabulary, however there is no substitute for using the words in our own texts as a means to solidify our learning of the new words.

Tidbit: My Google Chrome spell checker did not even know what sesquipedalian was.
- Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -

Serendipper

Re: Vocabulary - Discussion

Post by Serendipper » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:37 am

encode_decode wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:10 pm
Basically: Vocabulary is very important to reading comprehension. We cannot understand what we are reading without knowing what most of the words mean. I must admit, I had to look up the word sesquipedalian as soon as I saw it - and pleonasms. I think all three of your words are worth adding to the vocabulary - I am going to try and use them as often as is possible without being too repetitive.

As we learn to read more advanced texts, we must learn the meaning of new words that are not part of our vocabulary, however there is no substitute for using the words in our own texts as a means to solidify our learning of the new words.

Tidbit: My Google Chrome spell checker did not even know what sesquipedalian was.
Sesquipedalian came from a list of sesquipedalian words ;)

Pleonasm came from Jupiviv from the genius boards.

Epiphenomenal came from Karpel Tunnel on ILP.

Panvitalism is from Greta on PhilosophyNow.
Serendipity - the occurrence of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way; life; learning.